- Growth in construction. First Research predicts an annual average five percent growth rate between 2014 and 2018 in grinding wheel sales due to global expansion in construction. “Global construction output will increase by more than 70 percent, reaching $15 trillion, by 2025,” according to Global Construction Perspectives. Most growth will occur in China, India, and the U.S..
- Tighter tolerances. With the increased manufacture of electronics and precision instruments, manufacturers require increased precision.
- Stronger manufacturing materials. Stronger steel, concrete, and ceramics require stronger abrasives. Due to increased competition from China on low end abrasives, abrasive opportunity in the U.S. is in higher profit margin, high-end abrasives: superabrasives.
- Ceramics. Ceramics are a low-weight alternative to steel in the automotive and aerospace industries.
- Plastics. Manufacturers can develop abrasive products for the growing plastics industry.
Do you see any other trends that will shape the grinding wheel industry?